I am beginning to wonder if my coming child is mocking me. Come to think of it, if there is any kind of karmic justice in the world, this child will be a complete pain in the ass with a wise mouth. That would be about what I expect given what I dished out as a kid. The reason I wonder if Chickpea is mocking me is because we have tried many different methods of determining the sex of our child pre-20 week sonogram (next Monday), and the kid is making things difficult.
If you listen to any of the wives tales, there are innumerable ways to discern, non-scientifically of course, the sex of the baby before you are actually due. Let's look at a few of them and see what my luck holds:
- Carrying high or low - the rule here is that if you are carrying a boy, he will be low in the belly, closer to the vaginal exit, and if you are carrying a girl, she will be higher. I can see that...who said boys are only thinking about one thing? If you look at the time lapse below, you can see that Chickpea has moved from low to high from week 17 to 18. Nice head fake young one. Advantage - DRAW
- Heart rate - as the "internets" say, a fast heart beat, defined as over 140 beats per minute, means a girl, and anything slower than that is a boy. Unfortunately there is no science to this one as the heartbeat is only affected once the child is born. Of course, my little prankster gave us two looks at heart rate, and the first was 163, the second was 150. Are things slowing down? Who knows. Advantage - GIRL
- Cravings - I read that if your wife is having a boy, she will crave sour things, and if it's a girl, sweet things. So far my wife has craved sweet things. She was making chocolate covered strawberries the other day, and was jonesing for some toaster struddles, which are without doubt some of the sweetest things you can eat. Advantage - GIRL
- Weight gain - I'm not sure what to make of this one. They say that if the husband puts on weight during the pregnancy, then you are having a girl. No gain, a boy. Well, since my brother packed on a healthy 20 pounds during his pregnancy, and he had a boy, I am not sure what to think of this one. Of course, I have actually lost weight, but that is attributable to my training, so tough read. Advantage - BOY
- Round and full face - another of my favorites was that if a woman is carrying weight in her face, then she is carrying a girl. This one seems a little unfair to those women who are predisposed to carry weight in their face, and doesn't really do much good for women like my wife who carry it, erm, elsewhere. Advantage - BOY
- Breast sizing - here's one you guys should enjoy trying at home with your spouse. If the right one is large, you are having a boy. Left one, girl. Well, since it seems that all sense of space and time has been thrown out the window with respect to the gain in girth of my wife's breasts, it is next to impossible to determine which one is bigger. They both are. Advantage - DRAW
- Pendant - hold a pendant over her hand. If it swings back and forth, its a boy, circular, a girl. Advantage - GIRL
- Wife test - ask the wife, provided she has no knowledge of sex of the baby, what she thinks she is having. Apparently they are right 71% of the time. I have no access to stats of this study, so I cannot vouch for the veracity of the claims, but my wife and I both call it as a girl. Advantage - GIRL
So there you have it. The advantage arrow is pointing to a girl. We find out in one week, and we are quite excited. For the time being, my excitement level has been elevated by feeling the baby kick for the first time. My wife placed my hand on her belly and there it was. "Wow" was all I could say. For a few weeks, she has been feeling flutters, but every time she put my hand on her belly to feel, the baby would stop kicking. I thought she was messing with me, but feeling the kick last night tickled me to death. Tune in next week for the sex, but in the mean time, enjoy this updated time lapse.